Saturday, December 10, 2011

Karthika - A Festival of Lamps


I still remember with amusement, that small school girl of yesteryears who desperately wanted to accompany her parents for a much longed for ‘town trip’ and hence risked lying to them that it was a school holiday for the Karthika festival.  It was another matter that her lie was discovered promptly by a quirk chance of ill luck and due punishments doled out…  I was that 8-year old girl and what makes it so very embarrassing is that even today, after about thirty years or so, I am still ragged mercilessly for that one stray incident!

Even otherwise, the festival of Karthika is something that I truly bond with, not because of any religious sentiment, but due to the fact that it is also considered to be a festival of lamps. In fact, it was only recently that I bothered to find out that Karthika which falls on the Malayalam month of ‘vrischikam’, is in commemoration of the birthday of Lord Murugan or Karthikeyan.  

Pure, mesmerizing magic! That’s the only way I can describe the atmosphere created on a Thrikarthika day! The soft golden glow emitting from the tiny flicker of dozens of clay lamps (chirathu) lit during dusk at the front entrance of the house is indeed an enthralling experience and rather humbling too in a way, and what makes it special for me is that it gives a sense of peace and harmony which is hard to define. Perhaps it’s a rare moment when I am able to connect with my inner soul…

No comments:

Post a Comment