Friday, December 2, 2011

A heartfelt eulogy to Joy Sastampadikkal




It was pretty unnerving, seeing Joy sir’s picture in the front page of the Mathrubhoomi for the wrong reason. Ultimately, death has taken him away from our midst and the thought that he will no longer be around in the Palakkad social circle seems quite odd.

I didn’t know Joy Sastampadikkal personally. There were a few opportunities where I had interacted with him, but those moments did leave a lasting impression of this great personality in my mind. I still remember those days when I used to be associated with the Balajanasakhyam as a rakshaadhikari of our colony unit. My visit to the Malayala Manorama office to attend a Sakhyam meeting was the first time I came face to face with this dynamic personality.

The phrase, ‘Simple living and high thinking’ certainly attributed to Joy Sir. Dressed always in shirt and mundu, he was simplicity incarnate and there was none of this ‘I’m an influential person’ attitude about him which is rather common these days especially among the media. But the aura that he emanated, certainly commanded a whole lot of respect, that too voluntarily. We did meet on several other social occasions, and each time as he saw me, there would be a hint of a smile on his lips even though I was pretty certain he was racking his brains trying to place me.

The last time we met was while I went to the Malayala Manorama office a couple of years back with an invitation card for my exhibition. He offered me a seat in his small cabin and read the card patiently and with great interest. He asked me a few questions about the exhibition and guided me to give an invite to the editorial section too and assured me that the event would be covered by them. He never attended the exhibition, though.

Joy sir, I don’t know why you have influenced me so and neither do I understand why I am writing about you. But since yesterday morning after I learnt of your death through the newspaper, I felt a compelling urge to put my thoughts down as words. I will certainly miss your presence in this world.

RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment