Sunday, January 12, 2014

Escape into the wild - A travel narrative through the eyes of an 18-year old



College life is often referred to as one of the most enjoyable days in our life. This is what i get to hear from most people and i think today, on 10th January 2014, I exactly got to know why…

Let me introduce you to two of my friends who are going to be the other characters in this narration.. Meet Bimal, one of the most mature and well behaved characters I have ever seen in my 18 years. My other buddy is Jason about whom I am at a loss
of words. He is just one of a kind... totally unique.
It all started a week ago when Bimal invited us to his home at Mannarkad for the weekend, since it was the occasion of their yearly church fete. It didn’t take more than a moment for us to voice our assent, much to his surprise. Definitely, it seemed like a welcome deviation from our usual routine on a weekend, which was primarily to stay put on the couch, watching movies.

The wait for Friday seemed endless and finally, the three of us boarded the bus to Palakkad – the pit stop being my home, for refreshments and a change into my Jeans. (ain’t it comfy)! Late in the evening, mom dropped us in the bus stand where we eagerly squeezed into a crowded bus to Mannarkad, to reach our destination an hour later.

To be very frank, upon reaching Bimal’s home, which was a 5 minute walk from the bus stop, we were dumbfounded. It was huge and really very beautiful and fascinating as well. I just fell for the beautiful garden filled with birds. I also got to speak to a parrot… an arrogant one at that because it never bothered to reply to my questions!

We were accorded a warm welcome by his father, mother and sister and very soon, we found ourselves in front of a royal feast prepared specially for us. Bimal’s mother’s yummy tandoori chicken, chicken biriyani and various other delicacies, not to mention the delicious homemade pudding... my mouth waters just thinking of it. I still have a guilty feeling about the manner in which Jason and I shamelessly ate everything they offered us! A late night movie and long past 1 am, we finally made it to bed! It was an early morning start for us the next day and the idea of driving through the area, and seeing the rubber plantation bimal’s family owns sounded fabulous. Without any second thoughts, we set out on a journey into the wild…

The three of us got into a classic Mahendra jeep with Bimal at the wheel. Mannarkad is basically a hilly area, and very soon, we were going uphill and winding roads and felt more like a high range drive. The road actually would have taken us to picturesque Siruvani dam, but since it was a little too far, we opted to visit the outskirts of the Kanjirapuzha dam about 7 to 8 kilometers away.


Nothing prepared me for the awesome sight ahead! Bimal took us to the catchment area behind the reservoir which was a really beautiful, undisturbed habitat. Totally wonderstruck by the incredible treasure trove that Mother Nature offered us, both Jason and I lavishly feasted on it. The beautiful mountains.., the majestic lake, the tall and imposing thickly growing trees with the sunlight filtering through the leaves producing what is known as the ‘Tyndal effect’, the carpet of dried leaves on the rocky ground, the birds and their melodious birdcalls…it was a sight worth dying for and we made the most of it, clicking away like mad and having a whale of a time!

As we explored further, Jason managed to convince me to climb down the steep, dense incline that would take us to the water. I was like ‘there isn’t any path! How am I going to climb up.. And more importantly, will I be able to climb back? I was actually a bit scared and frankly wished I were more athletic and a little braver. One only knows in such situations as to how brave they are. Nevertheless, I took the leap of faith to a world unknown to me. Believe me, it felt as though we were in a forest. For the first time I understood the reason why it was important to go on adventures in groups. We were holding hands at certain places, pulling each other up, and supporting one another. After all, what are friends for!

After a steep downhill we got to the reservoir’s water area. It was truly unbelievable. I understood what peace is. It was so very quiet that you could literally hear your own hearbeat! We didn’t attempt getting in the water since both Jason and Bimal didn’t know swimming but it was wholesome fun the whole time and we had an awesome time.  I truly understood the meaning of ‘feeling one with nature’.

 Reluctantly, we left the place sometime later and Bimal took us to their rubber plantation which was situated in a place called Payapullu, about a few kilometers from Palakkayam.  The sight of hundreds of trees planted in a hill looked breathtaking and lots of questions popped up in my mind… stupid ones, silly ones, perhaps, but then I realized that there is a lot more in life which I have to experience and see.

We never knew how time flew... The three of us had to leave the serene environment where we had landed and had to head back to civilization because we could smell something burning... our stomachs! Moreover we knew that our delicious breakfast of aapam and egg curry was waiting for us. ;). Moreover, I had to head back to my home since a few other friends of mine were waiting for me at Palakkad. It was perhaps that thought which motivated us to climb up the hill to reach our Jeep that was parked somewhere far away… I think we reached Bimal’s home faster than we expected. Or perhaps it was the sadness in our hearts at having had to leave this paradise that we discovered, so soon…

In about an hour, after a sumptuous breakfast, we bid Bimal and his family goodbye. Although I felt sad at leaving the serenity of the place, I was happy that I was taking with me innumerable memories and a few pictures, to share with my friends and family, and with these thoughts, we boarded a bus back to Palakkad.

I guess it’s only memories that last forever. I was thinking about it in the bus journey back home. I realize that any journey is a destination in itself. Each one may be different and all the plans we make before, and all the pre determined decisions are all pointless. Is it we who take the trip or is it trip that takes us…? I don’t know.

Anyway, the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. I think I have taken my first step and I certainly look forward to more adventurous trips that will bring me closer to nature… in touch with myself.



11 comments:

  1. awesome work Mr debutant! keep up the good work! you surely have inherited the narrating skills of priya aunty! next time we will definitely have a numb journey and then i will wait for such a beautiful travelogue again!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyway, the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step............Well narrated...Varun..........Travel.......thousands of miles.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job Varun! Waiting to hear about such wonderful experiences from you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. after reading this , Iam going there this week end... nice narration

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice narration ,. Plan to go there this week end...u really tempted me to go there

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well written and well concieved keep up the good work and you have a nice vocabulary try to turn your eyes to a very nice journalist or into IAS where this kind of creative writing is absolutely important........ Sethu your Mom's friend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Satisfied and happy.Tears are coming from my eyes.Wonderful narration

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are eager to see Bimal.Could u please upload his photo?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic debut! You have a way with words. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am very eager to go to bimal's home.very nice description.really superb....i am studying with bimal's sister aiswarya lizbeth.ANU ELSA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. really good description.iam very to go to bimal's home.am studying in 10th std with his sister aiswarya lizbetyh.ANU ELSA.

    ReplyDelete