Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lokah Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu

Hope and faith comes into our lives at all times, unawares…

A few months back, I had the opportunity to visit my almamater, along with a few friends. Our main motive was to regain a sense of ‘belonging’ that would arise out of meeting familiar faces of the yesteryears…

We chanced to meet the current principal of the college, a pious nun with a smiling and sociable attitude.  Sitting on comfortable chairs in her office, I must say that her extremely positive attitude and unassuming personality really impressed me. While taking leave, she handed us each a string of beads, like a small bracelet, saying “Carry this with you at all times. This will protect you from all problems and challenges in life.”

It was just a simple bracelet comprised of some cheap plastic beads with a small cross, on which there was a picture of Jesus Christ. I may not even have given it a second glance, but the manner in which it was gifted to us made all the difference. The way her eyes sparkled, the way she truly believed in the power of these beads, the genuine blessings which came out of her mind, the smile which radiated in her bright eyes, and the joy she experienced while giving us this ‘protective charm’, made a huge difference.

I do not believe even for an instant that the beads contain any power within itself to safeguard anyone.  But power there was… in her positive words and thoughts, in her strong belief, and in her genuine desire of wanting us to stay protected. That is when I realized that genuine thoughts and words are indeed powerful.

I do not carry that charm with me. I don’t find the need to. That now adorns a small globe on my office table, where I see it every morning, and it is a reminder to pass on a silent prayer to protect my family, friends, and all living souls of this world. I pray that they stay safe and sound wherever they are and that they experience a lot of happiness and contentment in their lives…  


Lokah Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu!

No comments:

Post a Comment