Friday, June 20, 2014

Elusive Questions

I really don’t know what my friend, Preetha had in mind when she gifted me a note book. Neatly wrapped in a pretty blue wrapper, she had sent it across as a no-occasion gift. But why did she select a note book as a gift? She could have sent across just about anything else… a purse, a perfume or any other thing which gets conventionally passed between friends as gifts. Why a note book?

I know Preetha is a voracious reader. She reads a lot of books authored by empowered international writers, most of whom I haven’t even heard of. Unlike her, I just act intelligent and pretend to be well-read, while all the while I am stuck with the remnants of knowledge assimilated from my bygone days where I had been a passionate reader. Like another likeminded friend had remarked, being a true blue Gemini, I am blessed with the ability to handle any subject under the sun confidently.  But coming back to our topic, why was it that a well read Preetha, who enjoys a good book anytime, and who ponders over its various unwritten messages, decide to gift me a note book?

As far as I know, my friend Preetha loves listening to TED talks on Youtube by various acclaimed writers. Infact, she had sent me a couple of links which I found to be truly inspirational, one of which was by an African author who spoke on the racial discrimination issue in a very positive way. I had even shared it on Facebook, a medium which I use extensively to communicate to the world. Speaking of communication, I have noticed another of those Geminian traits which I am rather despising these days. Somehow, there is this inherent urge in me to communicate constantly. My mind thrives on stimulating conversation with people and I really enjoy listening to their various experiences. But life has placed me in a situation where I have learnt to be pally with my own thoughts and utilize my power of imagination to conjure up any situation or possibility to the fullest.  But that is another line of thought altogether, while right now I keep wondering as to why exactly did Preetha gift me this beautiful note book?

I have known Preetha since a very long time. But it is only recently that we realized the existence of some common vibes. We may not communicate regularly, but we connect instantly. I feel that is the beauty of any good friendship. She thinks that I am a very positive and cheerful soul who has not allowed myself to be bogged down by any of life’s unexpected twists and turns. To be very frank, I don’t think so. Sometimes, playing a part for a very long time can cause actors to start living the particular role in their real life too.  But why on earth am I thinking of all these when the question in my mind is what made Preetha gift me a note book…

Being someone who perfectly understands the power of words, I must confess that I didn’t dare touch the note book for more than a month. The pretty, spiral bound book lay undisturbed in a corner of my shelf. It is only today that I found the courage to open it, feel the immaculately white, ruled pages, and enjoy the heady fragrance emanating from within it, all the time wondering deeply as to why did my  friend Preetha decide to gift me a note book.



I would be meeting Preetha very soon. The logical part of my mind is cajoling me to get an answer from her directly. But my heart pleads to remain patient. A simple explanation might cause the magic in the note book to be lost forever. Perhaps one of these days, as I fill in the pages of this note book one by one, I might stumble upon the answer I seek on my own… perhaps I might also get answers to the various other questions that are in my mind too…

1 comment:

  1. Who best can know the need of the hour than a best friend!! (I am damn sure that you are well aware about that I mean) :P :D :D

    ReplyDelete